10 December, 2013

A Hint and a Conclusion

So a friend of mine got married on Sunday leading me to attend my third Taiwanese wedding (or technically second; the other was a wedding engagement party which they ran like a wedding).
Per usual the actually signing of marriage certificates happened elsewhere with just a few people (immediate family and a few close friends, probably). Then everyone gets invited to attend the wedding celebration, usually on a different day. We met up in a school hall which had been charmingly decorated to accommodate us and had a procession arrive in front of us, beginning with the bridesmaids and groomsmen arriving together along with either parties' parents. Then the groom arrived, dressed from head to toe in rock attire complete with electric guitar, followed lastly by the bride dressed like a Greek goddess in a flowing robe, golden wreath and barefoot.



That being said, I'm still sorting through my photographs and trying to catch up on work, so I'm going to save the full details for a post tomorrow night. Instead I'm going to tell you a tale of late walks and the importance of a good cobbler.

Having not worn my "smart" (i.e. black) shoes in a while I had forgotten that not too long ago the soles on them had begun to loosen. I had patched them with the appropriate glue, but hadn't fully comprehended the damage to the underside of the leather part of the shoe.
Imagine my surprise when, upon retrieving my shoes at the end of the evening, I find one sole coming loose. I try to walk as carefully as possible, but it's not long before it breaks off.

So I'm sitting on the train coming home. A few people give me odd looks because I still have a ribbon tied around my neck in mockery of a bow-tie. Their expressions were somewhat altered when, upon arriving at my chosen destination, I lean down and pluck the rubber underside of my shoes up and depart with it over my shoulder.

The streets of Taibei.


On reaching home I decided to assess the damage. My conclusions have found me in need of new shoes. Let's just hope there will be no fancy events which I need attend in the immediate future.




No comments:

Post a Comment