24 December, 2013

A Favourite Haunt & A Second Opinion

Situated close to Tonghua Night Market (a few streets behind LeLi Road, near Liuzhangli MRT) is one of my favourite little coffee shops.

Le Beau Lieu cafe

 It masquerades under a delightful pseudo-French style, but what I like about it is the quality of product it serves.

 It has a modest interior and, sadly, is never terribly busy; or at least not so during the hours I visit it.


 The salmon sandwich made the list of my most recent sampling. It was deliciously fresh and (unlike many Taiwanese restaurants) weren't afraid of using tomatoes.




 One of my regular choices is their fruit waffle. Having one with only ice-cream or syrup may sound attractive, but I find fresh fruit a much nicer choice. What I like about this shop is their fruit varies based on what's fresh and in season.






One delight over, now it's time for a disappointment. 

They say you should never judge a place based on a single experience. While I have yet to determine exactly who these "they" people are, there is truth in their words. Recently I made another stop at the new bar, Beer & Cheese. On reflection I feel there is something missing and some things the place would be better without.

The beer of choice that night was Cascade-Amarilla.
Well, to be honest it wasn't my first choice, nor was it my second. If I recall correctly it was either my fourth of fifth choice. It seems they were simply out of stock of all the things I wanted to drink. This bar may be new, but as it's had its official opening, one would expect it to have a steady supply of the drinks on offer.



But their biggest problem is the smokers.
Sensibly they've cast out smokers to indulge their filthy habits outside. Stupidly the designated area for smokers - indicated seating and counters for drinks - is the damn entrance way. This means anyone wishing to enter the venue was to pass through the dense fog of putrid air emanating from the witch-like figures who cling to the doorway, as the onset of the rainy season threatens to melt them should they venture further afield.
It also means that anytime the door is opened a gust of polluted air sweeps straight into the bar. Considering the bar isn't what one would call spacious, one gust effectively sends the contaminated air throughout.


Disappointments aside, there is one positive thing that must be said. Their pumpkin pie is fantastic. I'm not sure if it's the pie or the eggnog I like more, but with this dessert they have done well. At least there's one positive note I can end with.

No comments:

Post a Comment