19 November, 2013

BEER & CHEESE

Well hopefully that title caught your attention. It certainly caught mine, though more for the latter half.

BEER & CHEESE is a new bar which has opened up near Daan Park, located at No.169 Jianguo South Road, Section 2, Daan District.
Link to their Facebook page.

This bar is very new. How new was made apparent when I decided to give them a try, only to discover that they didn't have much cheese on offer. Well, to be blunt, all they could offer was a toasted cheese sandwich - a very good one, mind you, with really tasty bread filled with herbs and void of any ghastly sugar.
[Sadly I forgot to take a picture of one.]






I'll be quite frank. I'm not much of a beer drinker, preferring vodka and whiskey myself. This is a synopsis of my brief  experimenting.

Being in a European mood, we dove headlong into the produce of a microbrewery from the Netherlands called De Molen. We began with Blikken & Blozen (translated roughly as "to glance and blush"). It has the faintest of sweet overtones and is a very pleasant blend.


I also tried a Scottish beer called 5 A.M. Saint from Brewdog. This is a red ale and (I've been told, though have yet to confirm) is the style of beer that has come to dominate the U.S.A.'s market.


[Proof for my friends that I on occasion I do get down from my high horse and engage in the drinks of the common people.]

Next on the list of De Molen drinks to be consumed was Bommen & Granaten (translated as "Bombs & Grenades") which is actually a barley wine. It's a lot heavier than the other beers at 15% alcohol, though not as potent in flavour as a stout.


Last on my list for this round is Pijl & Boog (translated as "Arrow and Bow"). It's a strong pale ale at 10% and it has a rather pleasant taste. I would say more, but I didn't get to taste a lot of this drink as it wasn't mine, but rather my girlfriend's.





No comments:

Post a Comment