17 May, 2015

Painting Project Update

I decided to give the forge a general basecoat in a dark reddish-brown. After that I gave them a wash with brown ink to fill in the cracks. Unfortunately my spray ran out so there were a few lighter patches in the undercoat. Nothing future layers won't cover up though.







 

I have been contemplating what approach I was going to take for the colour scheme of the forge. I want it to be striking, but also have a strong semblence of realism. I have decided to paint it using a colour scheme in keeping with old stone houses. Traditionally the stones were of varying hues to give a beautiful, non-regular pattern.
The same is similar for old brick houses where the bricks were fired in forges made on the land where the houses were built. Homemade bricks aren't perfectly universal in consistency of colour due to fluctuations in the heat of the forges, so the buildings have delightful varying hues. 
Factories, though providing evenly baked bricks and consistency in colour, rob newer houses of variety and charm.

 
First brick colour chosen and key bricks selected. A few more will be used to fill out the other bricks and then wood colours will be chosen to balance the effect.







No comments:

Post a Comment