25 September, 2013

Variety and New Skills

 It appears there are yellow watermelons in Taiwan. I've never seen one before, but they taste about the same. The only difference besides colour is that they are slightly less sweet than the pink variety.




A good friend of mine is currently in France with her cast and crew. They are putting on a puppet show in a beautiful theatre in Saint Andres, Champagne. The company is called The Space Behind The Couch and they are not the only ones taking part. There is a festival taking place specifically for puppet plays. The play they are doing is a rendition of the sad, true tale of  Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes.


I acquired a copy of the book and, after the short read that it is, I tried my hand at making a paper crane.


This proved successful, so I attempted a large one.


And then a few more.



I began making them in my spare time at work between lessons. I know have about fifty of them, some strewn around my desk while others have been stuffed into a small bag which is spilling out in one of the desk's drawers.


But amateur origami isn't the only thing I have taken up with relish of late. Last weekend my girlfriend raised the level of my sewing from that of attaching wayward buttons to the use of a sewing machine. I have completed my first item - a dice bag.
The material in question is a remnant from an old pillow case, but as tutorial material it worked adequately. My next one shall be made of finer material of my own choosing.




No comments:

Post a Comment