30 November, 2012

Health and Ingredients


One of the many soups that Taiwan (and indeed the Chinese speaking world at large) is famous for is known in Chinese as "Health Soup". Containing coix seed, lycium (a member of the nightshade family, yet safe like potatoes) and the seeds of the lotus plant, this soup is very good for your body - especially your eyes. I am not partial to it, despite its goodness, as I am not entirely taken by its slightly bitter taste. I've been told that it's usually more salty than bitter, so perhaps I just had a particularly strong bowlful to try. Either way, I can be persuaded to try it again sometime.

By contrast, however, there is something I do relish which also has "health" in its title, and which is used to preserve one's body from the inside out. Known locally to some South Africans as "gesondheids drankie" (or "health drink"), it is a beautiful concoction of tonic water, dry lemon, a juice of your choosing (pear is usually the best) and gin - the stronger the better.

Whilst I would not expect my students to like my drink (nor would I offer it to them, their ages being between 6 and 7), I find the symmetry of the idea of them enjoying their health soup whilst I enjoyed my health drink most appealing - both consumable liquids aimed at the betterment of the consumer.

No comments:

Post a Comment